Thursday, January 21, 2010

Draft 2 - Begin!



Yes finally I'm ready to dive into the second draft of my NaNoWriMo Novel. Doing an outline for this draft was a lot more rewarding than I thought it would be. Usually I'm very against planning things out, but after the first draft it was refreshing to know I won't have to worry (so much) about getting stuck.

Chris has been a great friend and has been helping me sort out all the crap I didn't need, including a ship personality and some ridiculous coincidental relationships. I recommend having a writing support buddy like that. It really helps.

I decided to keep most of my characters, threw out a couple and the rest are all going on Rad's pirating crew. Chase is getting a big makeover - and Kevin got a personality makeover and is getting a chance to shine as the nerdy, social misfit fanboy mechanic on board. I like his character a lot. This time around it's also in third person so I can do some scenes with the other characters. I feel a little distant from Rad, but I think it's a good thing. He wasn't a very reliable narrator (sorry Rad, it's true!) and I got to know him well in the back story I wrote (for my own reference).

I wrote 1,800 last night. It was hard, but I resisted the editing bug as much as I could. I'm still doing it a little bit, but it's not nearly as bad and now I've gotten to the point where I don't go far back unless it's a continuity thing - and even then I'm learning to just make a note and move forward. I'm excited to see where Rad and crew take me this time. I have a feeling it's going to be 10 times what the last one was.

- Joanie /^>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment. Please feel free to leave me any constructive criticism. Let me know where the weak spots are and any typos or grammatical errors you found. I appreciate the gesture so much!