Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Beginning of a Novel

Codename: DreamShapers
(i.e. Until I finish and come up with a good title.)

Yes, it's true. I'm scrapping the entire rough draft that I had started in favor of a new one. (Not throwing away, just putting it aside for now.) I'm doing this for several reasons, all of which I've discussed at length with a number of writers I hold in high regard:

1.) Too much P.O.V. switching.
I'm keeping it solely between Guy and Travis now. First half of the book is Guy, second half is all Travis! (At least until the Second Draft...)

2.) Cutting out main characters.
Blythe, my dear, you're quickly fading to the background. As much as I love your story, it's getting in the way of the main theme. God forbid I get a second book with DreamShapers, then I promise I will tell yours. Otherwise you'll get your own book. :) Erin has also made it clear she does not like Lambent at all so she's fading back to supporting character. I had thought about making her a nightcrafter, but she's too grounded in the real world. Logan's also getting major rewrites, but I think I would include his P.O.V. in Book 3 if that ever happens. :)

3.) Necessary for closure.
A lot has happened recently and has proven to me that I had been writing it for the wrong reasons and with other characters in mind. I need to start over again to give my characters a chance to be themselves and not who I "want" them to be.

So bearing all of this in mind, I want to state my goals:

1.) 500 words a day.
2.) Get the rough draft done by this time next year.
3.) Do not go back and edit until it is completed.
4.) Even when I don't want to write, I will at least sit in front of the keyboard and try to.

I'm really excited about this. Everyone has been so supportive and seeing my other friends finish their novels has given me hope about mine. I also have King's On Writing nearby, so he's been a big help too. I'd like to post one quote I found so maybe someone else will get inspiration from him too:


When you write a story, you're telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story. (King, 57)



One of my friends published her progress of her novel on her blog, which is actually what inspired me to first start this one. I might change formatting for these posts as time goes on, but for right now, I'll just stick with her system because it seems like a good one. And as Charles has told me, why spend time trying to figure out how to do something when someone else has already come up with an efficient way to do it?

Novel Progress:
Words: 608
Pages: 3
Chapters: 1

I also want to start up an outline soon as well. I'm getting the settings and introductary chapter out of the way first. I'm also working up a comprehensive set of "universe rules". One of my friends suggested it and it's been a huge help. Now I can keep track of the magic in the dream realm and make sure I'm not contradicting myself. It's also helped me come up with some great situations and even more ideas for story events.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment. Please feel free to leave me any constructive criticism. Let me know where the weak spots are and any typos or grammatical errors you found. I appreciate the gesture so much!